Sunday, May 08, 2005

Apartments and garage sales

Ugh. What a day. My son Nick and I decided that we'd better get looking at apartments for him. We ended up checking out the one his friend Mike just moved into. Average as far as apartments go, about $100 more a month more than I wanted to spend, but I really liked one of the women who ran it. I could tell she would keep an eye out for him. Also she let me get away with putting the lease in my name and going out of the country. I guess that is a no-no in the world of apartment renting.

We ended up applying for an apartment. The lease will be in my name, which will also come in handy when I go to get my visa. Proof that I intend to come back here. Maybe that will sooth them a bit after they've found out that I quit my job. Nick's friend Mike will also get $300 because we said he referred us. woo-hoo!

Man, I could live another 6 months on what I am paying out back here while I'm in Italy. I had told Nick I'd cover the first 6 months of his rent and then he'd be on his own. I'm also giving him a lump sum of money, and paying the car payments and insurance for the next 6 months so that I have a car that is in good condition for him to drive, and also so that it will be waiting for me should we come back. I'm just wondering how the heck I am going to pry the steering wheel it away from him. I'm such a sucker for my kids.
Oh well. I'd rather have the piece of mind knowing that he is in a safe place with a decent car.

The garage sale dilemma(sp)
Garage sale or no garage sale. I've been going back and forth over this. I really REALLY hate garage sales, but it seemed to be a nice way to make some extra money. The only problem is, every time I go into the garage to start making some sort of order out of the amazing amount of CRAP in there, I get overwhelmed and go back into the house and sit and stare at the wall for an hour or two. It's just scary in there. Maybe if I had 5 or ten years to sort it out.

Well, Nick decided he would take over the garage, get everything sorted out and hold a garage sale every day next week. I tried not to laugh when he told me this. I was actually pretty impressed that it took him well over an hour working in the garage for him to give up and agree to taking loads to the Goodwill every day til the house closes. Did I mention it was scary in there?

Well, tomorrow is Mother's day. We'll be grilling and hanging out. This will be the last time we will all be together at my house having hamburgers on the grill. An end of an era. Very weird.

No comments: