Saturday, May 07, 2005

Diana's big adventure

Soooo. I gave my notice at work this week. That made it seem like a good time to get on the stick and start this blog.

Turning in my notice was much easier than I thought it would be. After I typed it up, I printed it out and signed it. Then I got up, put a copy on my boss' desk, one on his boss' desk and then went back and sat down in my cubicle. That was it. I just sat there waiting for the entire office building to crumble around me. Nothing happened. To be honest it was sort of anti-climactic. I kind of wanted them to both be their offices so they could read my letter of resignation and then start wailing and knashing their teeth, begging me not to go. Oh well. *sigh*

I did get good responses later, in fact my jaw almost hit the floor when one said that he thought I seemed to have my priorities straight (was he joking?) and the other sent me a nice email saying good luck and thanking me for my work. This was really nice as well as unexpected, but to be honest I still sorted of wanted them to be hanging onto my leg crying "NO!!" as I tried to drag myself out of their offices.

So now I'm able to start telling my coworkers that I'm leaving my job in two weeks. Selling my house, quitting my job, and going to Italy in about six weeks. Even though I've only had the chance to tell a few people at work, the reactions have been fun. First comes the disbelief: "No! Really? ........No!......... NO!..... WOW!.........REALLY?" and then I have tell the whole story about how this adventure started. I really dread telling the part about being inspired by the movie Under the Tuscan Sun. In fact I dread it so much I've considered changing my story to something about having long lost family in Italy that I plan to look up. Unforunately I suck at lying, so I'm stuck with the Tuscan Sun version.

After explaining how I got to this point, everyone goes on about how I am so brave, how they would love to do something like that but they just don't have the courage. Personally I think this is normal person code for: "Oh my God you are such an idiot don't you know that you are going to lose everything you'll come back here with nothing and wish like hell you were back in your tiny cube for the next 20 years all safe like the rest of us are!?"

Hmmmm.... Italy...... or safe in cubicle for 20 years?...... Italy... safe in cubicle for the next 20 years......Italy....cubicle....Italy...cubicle.... Ok, now tell me again... who is the crazy person here?

No comments: