Friday, July 08, 2005

Like a dream

Ok, that could be because I have a whopper of a sore throat and a fever, but who knows. I went to the farmacia spelling may not be correct, i seem to be having problems with the keyboard again, probably the only frustrating thing here in italy is they difference of the keyboards, makes me crazy!
they gave me something called Sanipirina, it had the bayer sign on it, so i had to make sure there was no aspirin it it, this was all done with a lot of pointing and head shaking. yes i know we have to get to school. monday i promise! i did look up male golah. bad throat. Anyway.

Today we were looking at the map that the school gave us, and finally located the big piazza where the webcam is located. Piazza Novembre. duh, it was right next to the university building, through this huge arch, duh again, the Etruscean arch. ok, all I can say is that I was checking out other things when I planned this trip, not the tourist atractions in town.

we walked up through a sort of arched cave thingy that had shops and restaurants on both sides, and finally saw the piazza. they were setting up for the Umbria Jazz festival, and it was also full of tourists. The festival starts tomorrow so we will be steering clear of it unless we want to hear music, but i am hoping we can hear it from the University side. Walking back down home we were laughing about how we were coming back to the real world, the university side.

We also did the one thing I said I had to do here, and sat out at the tables at the piazza, had our first espresso and people watched. yeah! pretty good!

Then we went walking around all the shops around the Piazza, and there are a lot! I am leary of most, it being a tourist area, but we did find a little place that sold fabric and household items where we were able to buy some bowls for ourselves and also to put cat food in for the kitties. As far as clothing, there is no way we can fit into any of it, talk about feeling like fat Americans, which I know we are, it is so depressing. We have hope though, you would not believe the hills we walk every day, just to get back and forth from our apartment.


OK,I just realized that I missed a whole day of information here that I thought I had posted. I didn't blog yesterday, so we are going back on day, sorry.

Yesterday we went on our trek for screens for the windows of the apartment. The only reason we need them is because of our cats. We had been keeping the shutters closed because of the cats, and opnly opening them when they were in a cage. WHAT a pain. We couldn't find a place that sold screen. We are up on like the 3rd and 4th floors, but the one time I told Jess to open up the shutter and just see what kitty did, the dang cat tried to jump. sheesh.

So we had seen what looked like a fabric store on the way down to get groceries and decided to stop there, but it was more of an upholstery shop, so we decided to walk down a bit farther to the gelato place *place a amiley face here, the dang keyboard is making me crazy. and found a tiny mom and pop hardware type store. Now we haven't been bringing our dictionary with us, so i had to figure out a way to tell them what we wanted. it was pretty hysterical, but by the end of the transaction both sides were look ing pretty proud that we had figured each other out. Have I mentioned just how much I love it here.

Iknow my son will be rolling his eyes reading this, but hey, we did it. i made a big square with my hands and tried to show something covering the square, then of corse my frigging spanish gets in the way and i say ventana, hoping like crazy it means window in italian too. nope, BUT I see a thing with a bug on it, and point to that. AAAHHH! Mosquito! zanzara is the word, everyone has huge smiles on their faces and the gentleman goes in back and comes back with a roll of green screen. si, si! Grazie!!! we are waving our hands in the air and making complete fools of ourselves, but they don't seem to care. so now they wany to know how much. oh yeah, like i can say that, so i notice the length of the counter and point form one end to the other, and the woman says to the man what she thinks that length will be. yes!!!

suddenly the man says bianco. ok, I admit i should have know thatone, it means white, but we have no idea what he means, so he goes in back and bring out white screen. another round of si, si, grazie happens and then he starts measuring.

In the meantime I know we need tape because we don't want to harm walls, but I don't see any rolls of tape around. Finally peeking arounf the side of the register I see a roll they use, and point at it for the woman. si, si she says, and I'm sure says the word for tape, but i couldn't remember it if my life depended on it. Have I mentioned we need to get our butts to school.

Then she says bianco! yes, yes I think, the screen is white, thank you. She goes to the side of the shop and returns with a proud grin on her face and a roll of white tape! Hey! We are coordinated now.At least the tape want show so much because the walls are white.
Again a a round of applause and many grazie and mille grazies happen.

On the expats site that I link to here, someone gave me the names of a couple of places that are like home depot, so I am looking forward to finding them and seeing if we can get screens for our windows that have frames.

Well, daughter is going crazy waiting for me, so I need to cut this short.

One last thing, my daughter has a blog also, so I am putting a link on my site to her blog. Please take a look at it.

No comments: