Friday, July 08, 2005

Traveling with Cats and bombings in London

I have about a half hour before our laundry is done, so I want to put in a post about the cats.

But also something about the bombings in London today. We didn't find out about them until we were eating dinner. The whole thing is horrendous and we are obviously more interested since it hits closer to home. Also the threats on Italy. We planned to take the train to Rome this weekend, but decided to put it off a bit, thinking that Rome would certainly be the place a bombing could happen. In the meantime I am waiting for a hysterical call from my mother at 10 pm, in about a half hour. Hopefully she won't be, but I don't know, I think I would be worried if it were my child and grandchild here, even though we really don't feel much of a threat other than the rail system.

Anyway, on a happier subject, I have to let everyone know that travelling with the cats was ceratinly stressful, but they have been fantastic and certainly none the worse.

I think a lot of it was because we were moving around a lot the month before we left, so they were used to the kennels. I have no idea what was going on down in cargo as we flew. I know they had to go to the bathroom in their kennels, and they did not smell all that great, but I think they know that they will be fine as long as they are with us, and as long as they are all together.

Bammy was the only one who flew in the passenger section with us. Well, with us for about 2 minutes until the guy in the seat said

Cats ..... no cats I am deathly allergic.

This is my luck, right. so Bammy had to spend the entire time under the last seat in first class. I really need to send a note to NW to let them know how wonderful the stewardess was. She took great care of her, looked out for him, came back and let us know how she was doing. A really wonderful person. They also said we could move to the other side of the plane, into the extra stewardess seats for landing, so that Bammy could be near us. We had said we were worried about the loud whining of the engine, brakes etc. Bam has a tendency to yowl when we even yell across the hosue to each other. Anyway, after getting off the plane we lost the other three cats for a while, and about 45 minutes later found them by the regular baggage carousel, with guys and kids all checking them out and talking to them!

No worries, they are not International travelling cats!

One more thing... I read so much about not wearing tennis in Italy, not because we will be tagged for tourists, which I am sure we already are, but because they would not be good for walking on cobblestones etc. I have to tell you, I am sooooo happy I wore mine. we have a three block hike uphill everytime we go back to our apartment. Perugia is nothing but hills, and my feet or legs have not bothered me once!

Alana, I am sure this is from you and I walking the stairs at work, thank you for coming to get me twice a day every day!!!

Well, have to go, will write more tomorrow. Ciao.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HEY! You made it! Congrats! I am writing this fromt he 21st floor of the mexicana airline building in Mexico City, we have done nothing but work for 2 days straight and it looks like it will be that way till we leave. So neat that you finally got there! I love reading your blog. Email me when you can